- 50 gm butter
- 750 gm onions thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 1 Ltr chicken or beef stock
- Salt and Pepper to
- Half a small french stick cut into 4 slices is
- 50 gm Gruyère cheese grated
- 2 tsp Parsley, chopped
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the onions and sugar. Turn down the heat so it is just simmering and cook the onions very slowly for 20-30 minutes until they are soft and a deep golden brown. Stir occasionally.
- Stir the flour into the onion mixture and cook over a very low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring to prevent burning or sticking to the pan.
- Add the stock and a dash of salt and pepper. Turn up the heat so the soup boils, stir all the time and then turn the heat down and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Taste the soup and season as you like.
- Toast the slices of french bread. Put a piece in each bowl and sprinkle with grated Gruyère. Pour the soup over the top and sprinkle the parsley over the top.